Thanks to Sharkbytes of My Quality Day for this wonderful appreciation award. If I understand correctly, I'm supposed to list 10 things that make me happy and then pick other bloggers to pass the award to.
Things that make me happy (I actually already have a list of this in one of my journals, but I went way beyond ten items, so I'm giving you the trimmed down version. Also, I'm not including family stuff here as that's a given.):
1. Books - I'm crazy about them. I especially love Newbery winners, mysteries, Austen, Hugo, Fannie Flagg, Cynthia Voigt... Connected to this, cozy corners where I can read to my heart's content also make me happy.
2. Writing - It is one of my compulsions and it truly does make me happy. I love being able to verbalize my thoughts and imaginings. There's composition and there's literal putting-pen-to-paper writing; I love both. Honestly, as thankful as I am for the convenience that typing offers, I really love the act of writing itself. I love learning old script styles and practicing them.
3. Tea time - I love tea - regular, green, black, herbal, fruit... I enjoy special tea moments and plan to have plenty of them with my daughter. Tea time has a soothing, civilizing effect on me, I think I've quoted this book before (and please add EL Konigsburg to the list of authors above), but I'll do it again: "She thought that maybe - just maybe - Western Civilization was in a decline because people did not take time to take tea at four o'clock," from The View from Saturday)
4. Musicals - No wonder I'm crazy about Glee, lol. Anyway, I'm absolutely gaga over Les Miserables. My sister and I can get very boring discussing (and oftentimes breaking into song much to everybody else's chagrin) all the musicals we love.
5. Flea markets/vintage shops/thrift stores - While I usually cannot relate to the expected female obsession with shopping at malls for the latest in clothes, shoes, and bags, I apply the same enthusiasm to thrifting and antiquing (although I use the terms loosely since I'm not really as knowledgeable as I'd like to be... just yet). I love coming across great finds. Let this item segue into mention of my love for collecting junk that interests me. I'm a confessed pack rat. While I am not interested in reforming this side of myself, I do need to learn to be tidier and more organized, lol.
6. Craft projects - I love the feeling of working towards creating something lovely and useful. It's even better if it's a project on which I can collaborate with my daughter.
7. Homeschooling - Even though what we're still doing is mostly just play, I love being able to do this. I know it's not going to be a walk in the park, but I have such a conviction about this that I'm just so grateful that I'm able to do it.
8. Travel opportunities - I love seeing new places and experiencing new cultures. It's even better if the opportunity came by way of a scholarship or a contest prize, hee.
9. Taking long walks - It's a great chance to regroup, clear my head, as well as explore. It's even better if my surroundings are beautiful, of course. It is awesome to come across pretty things from nature as I take my stroll.
10. Long conversations with a kindred or somebody interesting - Engaging chats with my friends always give me such pleasure. It's even nicer if it started out as some random small talk and then developed into a great sharing and bonding moment.